Please read these guidelines and then send your article, essay, review, research notes, interviews, reflections, poems, art, event summary, etc. to:
Value and Uniqueness of LSJ
- The Lowrider Studies Journal was influenced in 2020 by discussions at the Annual International Lowrider Studies Conference.
- The Lowrider Studies Journal publishes rigorously peer-reviewed scholar-activist work of the highest quality.
- The Lowrider Studies Journal provides the utmost respect and care during the review process.
- The Lowrider Studies Journal is a free-to-access electronic journal.
- The Lowrider Studies Journal charges no fees for publication.
- The Lowrider Studies Journal supports and encourages submissions that are excluded from mainstream journals, including photographic, video, MP3, art, poems, raps, and new media work.
- The Lowrider Studies Journal is organized and edited by a radical, critical grass-roots collective of activist-scholars, community organizers, and current and former prisoners from around the world.
- incarcerated writings and art – of any length
- research articles and essays – 2,000 to 10,000 words
- student final papers – no more than 10,000 words
- course/class summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- research notes – no more than 2,000 words
- commentary – no more than 2,000 words
- tactic and strategy analysis – no more than 10,000 words
- academic development – no more than 10,000 words
- lecture/presentation summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- conference/panel summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- events/protests/resistances summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- action alert summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- film, book, art, and media reviews – no more than 3,000 words
- interviews and dialogues – between 1,000 to 10,000 words
- poems and stories– no more than 10,000 words
- All submissions should have appropriate references and citations. Manuscripts should be single line spacing, 12-point font, and conform to the American Psychological Association (APA) style format. We can help with this.
- Submissions must be sent in Microsoft Word format. Submissions in other software formats will not be reviewed.
- Authors should remove all self-identification from their submissions, but all submissions must be accompanied by a title page with author(s) name and affiliation, type of submission (e.g., article, review, conference summary, etc.), and contact information including e-mail, postal address, and phone number.
- Authors must include an abstract of no more than 150 words that briefly describes the manuscript’s contents.
- Upon acceptance for review, the Lowrider Studies Journal editors will send manuscripts, under a double-peer reviewed process, to no less than two, and generally three reviewers. Reviewers provide their recommendations to the editor, who makes the final decision to accept the manuscript.
- The Lowrider Studies Journal holds to the utmost respect, love, and care when reviewing manuscripts. Each review we assure will be constructive, positive, and hopefully useful to the author. We strongly welcome first time authors, students, nontraditional students, activists, youth, community organizers, prisoners, politicians, and teachers.
Submissions will be assigned to one of the four following categories:
- Accept without revisions
- Accept with editorial revisions
- Revise and resubmit for peer review
Every effort will be made to inform authors of the editor’s decision within 100 days of receipt of a manuscript. Authors, whose manuscripts are accepted for publication, will be asked to submit a brief biography that includes their institutional or organizational affiliations and their research interests. The Lowrider Studies Journal only publishes original materials. Please do not submit manuscripts that are under review or previously published elsewhere.
Copyright, Republishing, and Royalties
- All Work published by the Journal is copyrighted by the Lowrider Studies Journal.
- Republication of Contributor’s Submitted Work may be assessed a reasonable fee for the administration and facilitation to other presses. Such fee shall be determined at the discretion of the Lowrider Studies Journal.
- Royalties: Contributor agrees and acknowledges that no royalty, payment, or other compensation will be provided by the Lowrider Studies Journal in exchange for or resulting from the publication of the Submitted Work.
LSJ uses a rolling submission process, allowing authors to submit at any time during the year without time restraints or quota of articles in an issue. Rolling submission, the most current scholarly method of accepting publications, allows for more timely publications and current scholarship to enter the public sphere in a more timely fashion, rather than conforming to traditional academic print journal guidelines.
LSJ is pleased to accept your submissions at any time and will move quickly through the review process to ensure timelines.
For submission, please submit to: